Have panic disorders, taking a low dose of alprazolam. Will it cause any problem?

I have a question about taking a low dose of alprazolam.... .375 Mg a day....for two weeks until I can see a psycho therapist said this is ok....will this cause any problems at this low dose....I have panic disorders
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later
Thanks for your query
i can feel your concerns
Dose of alprazolam is adjusted in each patient individually.Rapid reduction in dose can cause increased levels of anxiety,
malaise, weakness, insomnia, tachycardia, lightheadedness, and dizziness.
rapid tapering can even cause seizures in some dose reduction should be in collaboration with your doctor monitoring of withdrawl symptoms.
wishing you good health
Follow-up: Have panic disorders, taking a low dose of alprazolam. Will it cause any problem? 3 hours later
i think you misunderstood my question. I have only been taking this low dose for two days....this low dose seems to help with my anxiety. My therapist said that it is ok to take this until I see another doctor. I just want another opinion. I will only be taking this low dose for about two weeks. In other words, this low dose won't be any problems, that is what I was asking. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 38 minutes later
Hi again
thanks for your followup

Yes, if this low dose is not posing any problem, then you can continue with this dose. However if above mentioned symptoms occur like anxiety, insomnia etc, then take your original prescribed dose.

Hope it is clear now