Have panic attacks, ulcer, and many other symptoms. Gor frustated after reading the article on hypochondria. Suggest?

Question
My 44 year old daughter has all the symptoms and has had numerous tests--all negative. I asked her to read your article and she got furious and said she wouldn't read it and was offended. What can I do now?

forgot to add--the article was on hypochondria. Also have suggest counseling-refused.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some more details needed

Detailed Answer:

Kindly provide details on her complaints and the duration.

Also do attach the test reports here. This helps me to rule out the possible causes for such illness. Also I would guide you to manage her problems based on the pattern of the symptoms she has.

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Have panic attacks, ulcer, and many other symptoms. Gor frustated after reading the article on hypochondria. Suggest? 12 hours later
She has always thought she had a terminal illness if she were sick. I don't have access to her reports but her MRI of the brain was normal, her xrays of the knees were normal, her allergy tests were normal. She had a deviated septum which was repaired and said her ears were fine. She had panic attacks over 10 years ago and is on medication for that. Once she gets a negative test result, the pains go to another area. I suggested she get counseling but she refused. Now she is furious that I would suggest hypochondria.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Denial is serious

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the information.

Based on your explanation of her problems I am convinced that she is an Hypochondriac. Denial in an Hypochondriac is an serious issue as such people can progress to serious psychological problems.

I suggest you no to disturb her sense hereon and let her live with herself. The more you fall into an argument about her condition the more the denial the more server will be the consequences.

Counselling is the best way to counteract such problems , but as for now I suggest you not to disturb or discuss about her illness or any other health problems with her. This would give her time to think and she herself may opt for a Psychiatric opinion in near future.

Follow-up: Have panic attacks, ulcer, and many other symptoms. Gor frustated after reading the article on hypochondria. Suggest? 57 minutes later
Thanks. Good advice I need to detach before I get obsessed myself

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using this service.

Please rate the answer if you are satisfied.