Have pancreas divisum. Feeling bloated, nausea and diarrhea. What should be done to get relief?

I have pancreas divisum. I am very often suffering horrible pain early in the morning which is accompanied by feeling bloated, then eventually nasea and diarheah. Usually by afternoon it subsides, and I fel better. What could I be doing to cause this? I have no health insurance, and hope to solve this on my own.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

You have been diagnosed with "Pancreas Divisum”, I am sure this was confirmed by ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-Pancreatography). You were probably experiencing episodes of pancreatitis. I am assuming that they have ruled out gallstones as a cause of pancreatitis.

If you are really experiencing symptoms from pancreas divisum, there is only endoscopic procedure option or surgical option to dilate the sphincter or place a stent to keep the duct open to facilitate drainage of the pancreatic juices that have digestive enzymes. Unfortunately there are no medications to correct this.
You can take pain medications to control pain, you can take Proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) such as Omeprazole,rabeprazole,Lansoprazole ,pantoprazole or esomeprazole to reduce the acid in the stomach which helps to cut down stimulation of the pancreas and thus may be the inflammation.

You mention that you don't have health insurance. I know this is a major problem and will be for some time. If you have a county hospital or a university hospital, usually there is a clinic attached to them. They will offer medical care to those that can't afford to pay. They may even accept whatever you can afford if you talk to the administrator or accounting department of the hospital.

If you are experiencing diarrhea, for control you can take Imodium one or two a day. Generic Loperimide is available in grocery or drug stores.

Hope this is of assistance to you and I wish you the very best.
Follow-up: Have pancreas divisum. Feeling bloated, nausea and diarrhea. What should be done to get relief? 31 minutes later
I was diagnosed after an MRI-when I did have insurance. My gallbladder was removed in 2010, and shortly after, the pancreas divisum was discovered, after much continued pain, and episodes of nasea. Is there any foods that can cause this to flare up more?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 49 minutes later

Thanks for providing additional information.

As to your question about foods that make the symptoms worse, no specific food or drink is known to trigger attacks except alcohol and may be foods that are highly fatty.

I personally think, a diary of foods that you eat may be helpful in finding out what makes it worse on certain days when you are feeling really bad.

I again wish you the very best.