Have palpitations. ECG, cholesterol and blood pressure came normal. What could be wrong?

i have started to have palpitations, mainly after a cardio workout or climbing several flights of stairs.
this also comes on at night when i try to go to sleep. My resting pulse is 55 bpm.
i am 50 years of age slightly over weight and train twice a day
the palpataions are getting more frequent, i had an ECG, chlosteral and blood presure check 3 weeks ago and everything came back fine, i am currently offshore at the moment so your advice is much appreciated

Kind regards XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 44 minutes later

Palpitations and feeling of one's own heart beat at times of exercise and strenuous physical activity is quite normal. But getting them during bed time i.e. at rest is sure an alarming sign.

The palpitations may be associated with anxiety / panic disorder, thyroid abnormality or an existing heart ailment. I am glad to know that ECG and other blood test came up negative. However it would be better if you can get a round the clock heart rhythm monitoring (Holter) done. This will definitely identify abnormal heart rhythms which were not seen during your regular ECG check. A qualified cardiologist will know about this test and therefore assist you with it. You should plan a visit to his/her office when you get back home.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you need clarifications.