Ask a Dentist   »  

Have painless white patches and sore yellow bumps under tongue. How to remove this?

i have some white patches under tongue since long time and it was painless. when i quit from smoking this patches start to disappear. in last few days i found a sore yellow bumbs under my tongue and it is very painful, please advise what shall i do.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 3 hours later

I will be glad to answer your query. The white patches may be due to fibrosis from the heat produced during smoking. I appreciate you for quitting smoking.

The yellow bumps can be due to a number of factors from nutritional deficiencies to infection. I will be able to guide you better if you could post the picture of your tongue with yellow bumps below it here.
I will recommend you to use an oral gel for sores and apply it half an hour before or after meals.
Avoid spicy or hot foods for a while.

If you have any further queries kindly feel free to write back.

I hope this answer was useful.

I wish you good health.
Follow-up: Have painless white patches and sore yellow bumps under tongue. How to remove this? 17 hours later
Please find attached the photograph of my tongue yellow bumps is highlighted in round. the white patches was in all areas when i used to smoke after quit smoking within 2 weeks its disappearing slowly.

I am waiting for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back to us and posting your picture here.

I would like to inform you that these yellow spots can be from smoking, or from eating spicy food or even from a fungal infection.

I will recommend you to follow a strict oral hygiene regime ;
- Brush and floss regularly, use an antibacterial mouth wash(twice/day),
- Perform warm saline rinses(3-4times/day),
- You can also apply ice chips on the painful bumps, it will relieve pain.
- If the spots do not disappear in 5 days then kindly see your dentist.

Until then avoid any spicy or hot foods.

If it is from a fungal infection, dentist will prescribe antifungal medications for you. Do not worry you will be fine.

I wish you good health.