Have painless swollen lymph node behind ear, burning sensation under rib, neck and face. Infection?

Allergist and Immunologist
Hi There,

I lived with a male persian cat for almost 1 year and i used to kiss him alot,after 4 month i had painless swollen lymph nodes behind my ears and after 7 months a burning sharp sensation under my left rib and also on my groin,armpit,shoulders,neck and face?could i get all these symptoms due to living with a cat?thanks
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 10 days later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

It is highly likely that you are suffering from cat scratch disease (CSD). This is caused by an intracellular bacterium Bartonella Henselae.

Classic CSD presents as tender and swollen regional lymph nodes, with a papule at the site of initial infection by the cat. Some patients may have fever with associated complaints such as headache, chills, backache and abdominal pain. It may take 1 to 2 weeks, or as long as two months, before symptoms appear. Most cases are self-limiting, but lymph node swelling may persist for several months after other symptoms disappear.

Please get the relevant tests done as soon as possible.
Bartonella Henselae PCR is the test; or a lymph node biopsy using a special stain for this bacterium.
Azithromycin is recommended once the diagnosis is established.
Follow-up: Have painless swollen lymph node behind ear, burning sensation under rib, neck and face. Infection? 41 hours later

I got the result of my complete blood count ,they found Epstein Barr and cytomegalievirus in my blood ,I have still swollen lymph nodes and significant pain in my spleen and liver area and the skin of those areas alongside my other lymph nodes is itching a lot ,I have a burning sensation on my spleen area also under my ears,I did abdominal ecography but they said its ok ,I don't feel well specially at nights the pain get worse is there any medicine or herbs for it? How should i deal with it?what do you recommend?by thé way Im a Girl 28 from thé netherlands ghable in advance
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 7 hours later

So I presume that the Bartonella Henselae PCR was negative.

Acute EBV infection will show up as EBV IgM positive, while IgG for EBV and Cytomegalovirus IgG means you had the infection in the past.

Given your symptoms of swollen lymph nodes, it is important you visit an Infectious Disease specialist or a Haematologist as soon as possible.
That the abdominal ultrasound was ok, suggests that the spleen is not big, which is good news.

I cannot recommend any herbs, but suggest you try a long acting antihistamine or the itching like Atarax 50mg or allegra 180mg until you get seen by the Specialist. Please take your blood results as I am not certain what exactly the results are at this stage.

A lymph node biopsy will be critical to establish the diagnosis.

Best Wishes.