Have painless skin growth on middle finger. Could it be callus?

I have a small growth on the inside of my left middle finger. It's about 1/4" in diameter, skin colored and painless. It just seems like a callous but it's not an area where I hold a pen, or commonly cause friction. I've had it for a number of years now, it has never grown bigger or really changed. I can clip it down to the skin line with no pain, it just makes the area red, then grows back. No pain when I clip it down either. It's just like clipping away a callous or dead skin.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 48 minutes later
Sometimes callosity or hyper keratosis can occur over non dominant hand which is not subjected to usual pressure and friction.

To treat this area of hyperkeratosis, I would suggest that you pare or clip the lesion completely and start applying a salicylic acid ointment 12 percent twice daily over the area and occlude it with a tape. Also use a good hand cream to keep the area well moisturised( preferably a cream containing urea and lactic acid). Follow the treatment till the lesion has completely resolved.

Hope that helps.