Have painless lump close to underarm. What to do?

Hi Doctor,

I am 31 years, male. I have a slight lump that I can feel in my left hand, close to my underarm. Its on the inside, and is not painful. I can only feel it when I move my hand over that area, otherwise there is no feeling of it at all.
I had presumed earlier that the lump would be due to a mosquito bite or some other irritation, however the same has continued to be there since some time now, and has not subsided.

Need to understand if this needs to be consulted for, should I check with my GP or need to go to a specialist?
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Enlarged lymph node

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

It seems to be an enlarged lymph node. Since it is in the axillary area, it may have developed in response to breast or arm infection, etc.

You may get it checked by a general surgeon.

You may get a few blood tests done to see if something is wrong. The blood tests can include total blood count, differential blood count, uric acid, liver function tests etc. Biopsy of the lymph node is the most direct approach to the diagnosis.

Let me know if I can assist you further.