Have painful white bumps on tongue. Concerned?

General Surgeon
I have three painful white bumps on my tongue. They look like whiteheads. Two look like irritated taste buds. The other is flat and kind of opaque near the tip of my tongue. I am concerned about all 3 and what causes them but I think I am really worried about the flat opaque one more.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually it heals in a week to ten days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

When the bumps on the tongue are painful , then one need not be so apprehensive. Painful bumps can form due to some kind of like hot soups, coffee and spicy food etc.

If I were your treating doctor, I will prescribe for you a local anesthetic cream for the pain and an antiseptic gargles which has to be done about three times a day.Till the pain is relieved , you have to go for soft and liquid diet which should not be hot or spicy. Usually these bumps will go off in about a week to ten days. These could either be elevated or flat with discoloration as is in the tip of the tongue. Sometimes in resistant cases , I also prescribe a course of metronidazole tablets which works well in such situations. I would also advise a course of vitamins for you.

However, if it doesn't heal for a long time, then it has to be investigated to the extent of a biopsy depending on the response to the treatment. This has to be decided by your treating/family physician.

I hope this information will help you in discussing with your physician on the treatment of these bumps.

Thank you for choosing health care magic forum for your health query. If you have any other doubt on this, please feel free to ask. Good luck.