Ask a Urologist   »  

Have painful urination and lower back is hurting. Getting progressively more painful. Advise?

General Surgeon
I have painful urination and my lower right back is hurting. On a scale of 1-10, im about an 8 and i was about a 6 yesterday . It is getting progressively more painful. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms are most likely caused by urinary tract stones or urinary tract infection. As your pain is quite strong, this is more characteristic for stones. It usually gives sudden back pain or lower abdominal pain. It can radiate to the groin. Frequent urinating and pain while urinating are very characteristic. Blood in the urine can be present.
With an infection, the pain is mild and starts gradually. Fever can be also present.

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have urine analysis (blood in urine will indicate stones, WBC and blood will rather indicate an infection), urine culture test and abdominal ultrasound.

Medicines like Metamizole, Buscolisine or other smooth muscles relaxing drugs should be prescribed. You should also drink plenty of water (like 2-3 liters/day), have cranberries supplements. Stairs walking, jumping or running will help move the stone down. Hot bath should help wit the pain.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have painful urination and lower back is hurting. Getting progressively more painful. Advise? 13 minutes later
It does in some way have a menstrual cramp feel about it. It is just so intense especially if i move.. im leaning more towards the kidney stone possibility. The only thing is i do not have blood in my urine. Thank you so much for your help!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later
It can give cramps like menstrual. Its because the main source of pain is smooth muscles spasm (ureter spasm, gallbladder spasm). Due to stones, intestines can also get irritated and cause some pain.
Blood in the urine does not have to be visible with a naked eye. But it should be present in urine analysis.

Hope this will help.