Have painful/stiff neck, lumps on back of neck. Have black diarrhea, severe abdominal pain. What to do?

Question
Question about painful/stiff neck, lumps on back of neck (lymph nodes?) black diarrhea, severe abdominal pain/pain in kidney area
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Infection

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Given the brief clinical data provided, it sounds like a systemic infection, such as gastroenteritis, pyelonephritis, cholecystitis or UTI. The black diarrhea could represent 2 things: 1) supplementation medication with iron or bismuth (eg. pepto bismol) 2) bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract.

It is of utmost importance for you to be evaluated throughly, initially with basic tests such as complete blood count, basic chemistries and cultures as suspected, and then additional workup regarding the results.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Have painful/stiff neck, lumps on back of neck. Have black diarrhea, severe abdominal pain. What to do? 9 minutes later
I don't have a gallbladder anymore, so not cholecystitis. Is it ok to take OTC anti-diarrheal meds until i can see my GP? Anything i can take for the pain? Thank you .

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Difficult context for medications

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

The tough aspect is that antidiarrheals are contraindicated during an acute infectious process if this is a gastroenteritis (toxins can build up in the gut); in terms of pain control, acetaminophen is reasonable but not anti-inflammatories like naproxen or ibuprofen since the black stools can also represent an upper GI bleed as I explained; furthermore, the diarrhea itself could also be caused by a GI bleed itself (blood is a very powerful laxative). So, if you have taken ibuprofen or naproxen or similar medications for the neck pain for a few days, I would strongly discourage because of reasons mentioned above.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN