Ask a Dentist   »  

Have painful skin over lower wisdom tooth. How to treat this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
My lower wisdom tooth has skin over it and whenever I close my mouth it pinches the skin and hurts
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 21 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, it is a very common problem. Do not worry.

You have to do the followings

1.     Wash the area frequently with a good mouthwash.
2.     You have to take a combination of ciprofloxacin and ornidazole group of drug. Amoxicillin group of drug can also be used in place of the combination. In a word, you have to take a broad spectrum antibiotic.
3.     For the pain, you have to take some nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent like aceclofenac or diclofenac group of drug.
4.     A pantoprazole group of drug should be taken to prevent the hyperacidity associated with the drugs.

For a detailed prescription, you have to consult with your family physician.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have painful skin over lower wisdom tooth. How to treat this? 2 minutes later
Are any of these drugs available in an over the counter form?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Only the pantoprazole and the anti-inflammatory drugs are available in an over the counter drug. For antibiotic, you need a prescription.

Hope you have the answer.

Regards.