Have painful periods, throbbing vaginal wall. Have varicose veins. What can be done?

Hi. I am a 31 year old woman pregnant with my fourth child. As a teen I suffered severe and debilitating period cramps, eventually relieved by the contraceptive pill. After I had my first child and went onto a minipill, these cramps were certainly lessened, as I had heard they might do once having had a child. I don't know whether this is directly linked to this past cramping issue or not, but over the last couple of years in between children, my cycles had been very painful, not so much cramping, but more a painful throbbing sensation directly in the vaginal wall area, much like a sort of pooling of blood I wonder, as this only occurs when standing, and relieved when lying or sitting. I do have varicose veins (legs and the delightful haemmoroids too) so wonder if this might be a varicose issue? If so, what could be done about this? Not much point in visiting my GP at present as the issue isn't really an issue at all for now! Not going to have a period for at least the next 12 months or so.....
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 37 minutes later
Thanks for consulting us.
As your history dates back to your teen years & you feel better when you are on pills, so, it is very likely that you are suffering from primary dysmenorrhea (painful periods). Where there is no treatable cause but medical treatments like birth control pills & non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs provide relief in most of the cases. But, if your symptoms are worsening with passing years, you have pelvic pain during sex or at other times of the cycle( i.e. when you are not menstruating ) then you must report this to a Gynecologist. Cause can be both Gynecological (like endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease etc) or non-Gynecological ( like irritable bowel syndrome).
Gold standard test to diagnose this chronic pelvic pain however is Laparoscopy, but this is an invasive test done under general anesthesia & so is not recommended in women who get relief from medical management.
A condition similar to varicose veins inside the pelvis may also produce similar symptoms. This is called pelvic congestion syndrome. Doppler ultrasound of pelvis may help in diagnosis.
Treatment certainly depends upon the underlying cause & medical treatment is always the first line option after undergoing non-invasive tests like ultrasound scan & a pain diary.
Hope I have given you a brief & simple idea of the situation. Please write back if you have any question.
Wish you good health.