Have painful lump in armpit, hair loss and oily scalp. What is the problem and cure?

Question
small painful lump in the armpit (right side). also little pain on the right side of neck. sudden excessive hair loss and oily scalp( looks as if i have applied oil on it)
2 week ago, same kind of painful lump appeared on right side then on the left size..which increased upto pea nut size. after 4-5 days it disappeared. now, again it appeared on the right size. its painful when i abduct my shoulder.
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
You seem to be having Hidradenitis suppurativa which is an pyogenic infection of subcutaneous tissues and lymph nodes in the axilla or it can be an upper limb thrombophlebitis. It characteristically occurs in those people who have excessive sebum secretion seen in oily skins.
Either of the condition can take serious turn and should be treated with specific antibiotics. You should get yourself examined by a physician as soon as possible and get treated to avoid complications.
To avoid further occurrence use liberal soap application and rinsing in the axillae and thorough flushing with water and fully scrub drying with cotton towel after bath.
You should use an anti-dandruff shampoo for your hair.
Avoid fried foods in diet and avoid the oily snacks if you are in habit of taking it frequently.
Check for a CBC, Blood sugar, and a fasting Thyroid and Lipid Profile just to rule out any apparent cause for your problems.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Have painful lump in armpit, hair loss and oily scalp. What is the problem and cure? 1 hour later
sir, forget to mention..those pea nut size lump in the left armpit..is felt on poking it . beside this i feel heaviness of my abdomen and also tightness around chest. recently i felt i m gaining unsual weight as well..

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The lump when palpable and painful suggests inflammation and in case of axillae it is mostly hidradenitis but if one has any infection in the upper limb the draining lymph nodes are painful and enlarge but I do not think that is the case with you. So getting examined and treated is worth.
Heaviness and tightness around chest may be result of recent rapid weight gain, even hidradenitis is also more common in obese persons.
Try to control your weight with sensible dieting and regular exercises.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Have painful lump in armpit, hair loss and oily scalp. What is the problem and cure? 47 hours later
today i went to clinic. USG of axilla was done..
usg reports says it could be lipoma.

i m very much worried. Do i have to get those lump removed surgically or it will get cured with medicine??
what is the approach to the treatment in this case?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 17 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Lipoma is a local collection of fat cells in excess loaded with deposited fat.
Did you get the CBC and thyroid profile yet, if yes please upload the reports.
Lipomas are avascular structures so medicines do not reach them and for that reason surgical excision is the only answer if they are painful.
You can try weight loss and correction of hypothyroidism if it is detected in report.
These two medical measures can help shrink this somewhat so to avoid surgery.
If they also do not help then probably surgical resection is the solution.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Have painful lump in armpit, hair loss and oily scalp. What is the problem and cure? 2 days later
i got report of cbc, thyroid profile and other profile tests too. i have uploaded it. please tell me the area where attention and treatment is required.

as i told earlier..those two lump come and go away by itself..this time also those lump are shrinking by its own.
pls tell me the treatment and measures to be taken in my case.is it curable?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 32 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
I have seen your reports, your CBC, RFT, Blood sugar levels and thyroid profile are up to satisfaction.
LFT showing deranged enzymes and the Lipid profile is grossly erratic.
You are having very high levels of Total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol.
Your body is not handling the fat in good way.
I think you not have the infection rather overweight status and deranged lipid profile is the cause of your problems.
Please reduce body weight by rational dieting and regular exercises.
Avoid fried victuals and avoid irrational junk food and snacks.
take lot of fluids and fruits daily.
Reduce 15-20% weight from current levels in 6-12 months time.
Repeat LFT, Lipid profile and Ultrasound of axillary lumps after 3months after a rigorous practice of above suggestions.
Wish you a great health!