Have painful lump above ankles, looks bruised. Can this be blood clot?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a lump that hurts when I press on it on my left leg above my ankle.... it looks very slightly bruised. I did accidentally get kicked in that leg about 3 weeks ago, but I got hit higher than where the lump is. Also, I just noticed the lump about 4 days ago. Can this be a blood clot?
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could possibly a Hematoma (blood clot)

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your typical history (injury to leg, bruised and tender swelling) highly suggests the possibility of a Hematoma (blood clot) in your leg.

The blood may track down due to gravity leading to the formation of clot below the level of injury.

The management of hematoma is as follows -

* Rest to the injured part and don’t involve in activities which puts additional strain on the injured tissues.
* Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day. Ice will help calm the inflammatory response.
* Use elastic compression bandage around the swollen area so as to limit the spread of swelling
* Elevation of the limb (most of the times in a day) to resolve the swelling
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medication like Advil or Aleve can help relieve symptoms of pain and also calm the inflammation.
* Use moist heat fomentation over the swelling which hastens the resolution of the hematoma.

Generally, these hematoma's will resolve spontaneously within 3-6 weeks without leaving any traces and will not need any interventions.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further