Have painful knot above the collar bone, night sweats and fatigue. Gastric bypass patient and had thyroid removed

May 2014

I just discovered a knot just above the collar bone/shoulder on theback right side below my neck. It feels hard about the size of a marble and is painful. I actually felt it when I was rubbing my neck because my neck/shoulder was hurting. I have had night sweats and fatigue lately but a lot going on with a recent move etc. I am a gastric bypass patient (5 years ago) with no major issues. I have also had half my thyroid removed in 1993 due to goiter with non-malignant tumor. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consult your GP

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your medical history in detail.

From your description, I would conclude that you have a small marble sized swelling which in painful, just above your right shoulder, and posteriorly. This swelling is under the skin and might have appeared less than a week ago (please correct me if I am wrong).

In the above scenario, it might most likely be a small inflammatory swelling. Most probably it is a lymph node enlargement with the possibility of an infection of the draining site. The best thing to do would be getting a GP to see you. He may run some tests, if the source of swelling is not evident. I usually treat lymph node swelling due to infection with a short course of antibiotics and a pain reliever to decrease the pain. There can be many other causes as well.

Thus, if the swelling does not show any regression then a surgeon's opinion might be necessary.

Whatever the cause, you have taken the right approach by seeking help as soon as you have noticed it. Ignoring an inflammatory swelling can cause further discomfort.

Hope your query is answered.
Should there be any further query, please feel free to ask.

Dr Vivek