Have painful hip and unable to sleep. Rashes appeared in waist and hip area. Any solution?

Jul 2012

My grion and left hip area was VERY painful and unable to sleep. In fact, it felt numb to the touch for an entire day. 24 hours later I now have a rash, welps, in the same area with large lumps under the rash. It covers an area from my front groin extending to my waist and around to the back of my waist along the hip area. The pain stopped when the rash appeared.
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
I feel this rash as per your description, needs to be looked at by a deramtologist nearest you asap or by a GP.
It appears to be dermatomal & unilateral & from the description, it appears to be Herpes Zoster. This is a viral infection related to the chicken pox virus & the name herpes is a misnomer. It is a self limiting condition & should be all good at the end of a week or 10 days tops.
It will require the local & systemic administration of antivirals as soon as possible if it is indeed so for best results & symptomatic treatment with anti-inflammatory agents & pain relieving meds or/& antihistamines.
I would have asked for photographs of the same to help confirm the diagnosis but essentially, the treatment needs to be started soon if antivirals are to be started & this requires both confirmation & a prescription from a doctor on the ground nearest you. Nothing to be alarmed about but best results if oral antivirals begun in 48hrs.
Alternatively, it may just be some sort of irritant contact dermatitis or some urticated lesions that may require a topical steroid albeit my clinical hunch is with the former going just by your description.
Either way, please do visit your GP & let me know if my advice helped. Please feel free to upload a clear digital photograph & most welcome to ask any queries but the need of the hour is to provide you relief & closure & this will be possible only on the ground near you. Hope we have been able to point you in the right direction.
Cheers, Good Luck & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD