Have painful, hard walnut sized lump in armpit. How should I treat this?

Cardiologist
Question
I have a painful and hard walnut sized lump in my armpit. It started out pea sized a couple of months ago, and it grew slowly.
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your question with diligence. Possibilities are many but one has to determine it is vascular or not. Please show it to doctor. On examination it may be decided to do aspiration cytology or if it is axillary artery aneurysm its excision and arterial reconstruction will have to be done by a vascular surgeon and cardiologist. It is painful and rapidly growing makes the chances of it being a pseudo aneurysm infected benign mass rather than malignant, much more that is better possibility. However I urge you not to delay and show it to your doctor. Regards.
If there is any further query I shall be more than happy to answer it.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Have painful, hard walnut sized lump in armpit. How should I treat this? 5 hours later
I kindof worded my statenent wrong before. It has taken somewhere between 4-8 months to grow from pea sized to walnut sized. So, it hasn't exactly been growing super rapidly. Does this affect your answer?

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 19 minutes later
Hi there,
To some extent it makes the order of diagnostic possibility difficult.
It still has to been
Nature of its histopathalogy either inferred by clinical examination and imaging techniques. If not vascular needle aspiration will confirm the diagnosis (in vascular you do not puncture). It then has to be removed as a whole. The subcutaneous tissue and the structure it is arising from repaired. Sample sent for pathology. Report will determine further management.

Sooner you get to doctor better it would be.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Have painful, hard walnut sized lump in armpit. How should I treat this? 15 hours later
What kind of doctor should i go to? I mean, what specialty should that doctor be majored in? Or would going to a general practitioner work?

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 55 minutes later
Hi there,

You go to a general practitioner he will decide which doctor's help is needed what I mean is vascular or general surgeon or some other specialist. My choice depending upon the guess it would be General Surgeon. If the surgeon feels he needs vascular sugeon's help or cardiologist's/interventional radiologist's help in imaging the axillary artery, he/she would do so. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW