Have painful hard knot on upper chest. What could it be?

I have a hard knot in my upper chest about two fingers wide and a finger long. Its on the left side and hurts. What could it be?
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A hard lump in the upper chest that is painful can be due to the following possibilities:
1) A soft tissue swelling - like a cartilagenous or muscular swelling, a lipoma, a hardened cyst, etc.
2) A bony outgrowth

The chest area is often prone to inadvertent injuries and this could be a traumatic swelling also. It is very difficult to pin-point a diagnosis without a direct examination.

So, I feel that it is best to get it examined by a doctor and if necessary, have a chest X-ray done to confirm the origin of the lump and ascertain the diagnosis.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar