Have painful finger and bending difficulty after doing gardening work. How to cure this?

Since retiring from my office job 3 months ago ( age 56) , I have begun to do a lot of physical outdoor gardening work. As a result the middle finger on my right hand has become increasingly painful & tender with difficulty bending. Also it has become a little painful at night time after some hours sleep & only eases if I get up and move my hands around.
This same sympton has developed on my left hand a few years ago but has eased and not really a problem.
Sometimes just like my right hand now this finger can lock up . What can i do to sort out ? Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 33 minutes later

Thanks for asking this query.

This could be onset of osteoarthritis affecting small joints of hands. Get the following investigations done -hand - X-ray, Hb, complete blood count, ESR, CRP, serum calcium, Uric acid, renal function test. Your Physician can guide you with these test.

NSAIDs like paracetamol or aceclofenac can help to relieve pain.Reply back for any doubt.
Thank you.