Have painful cyst on butt crack. What should I do to remove it?

Jul 2012

have very painful cyst or boil on my butt crack cant even sit up straigh hurts like hell
i tried cutting it open to relieve pressure it only bled alittle bit its the size of a grape it there anything i can do to it without going to the doctors have no insurance
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
Appreciate your honesty & straightforwardness, hence thought should give you my advice. Do hope it helps. From your description, it appears you may have a pilonidal sinus. Now this usually requires the services of a surgeon, but one can get temporary relief using a 'Sitz' bath. This involves using a shallow tub filled with lukewarm water & soaking your butt/butt-crack in it for some 10-20 mts preferably with a little betadine in it that will help cleanse the region. This can be done once/twice a day esp after washing following defecation. Avoid the use of tissue (toilet rolls) as a combination of excessive tissue use with ingrown hairs can have caused the problem in the first instance. In addition, you can use an antibiotic called metronidazole 400mg & ibuprofen 400/600 mg three times/day both after meals for some 3-5 days; however this may require a prescription from a doctor unless you have a kind pharmacist nearby. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Have painful cyst on butt crack. What should I do to remove it? 1 hour later
Would cutting it open and draining blood work or what kind of cream can I put on it I've tried diaper rash cream and neasporin just would like the swelling to go down what bout heating pad hot tub just need some relief I'm in a lot of pain any way I sit or lay down
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 hours later
I would never recommend a process like cutting things at home esp in that area even if you were a surgeon !! Please practice the methods i suggested esp Sitz bath which is a little better than ur hot pad. Also one may use a glycerine-magnesium suphate dressing in the area to try to help relieve any abscess. God luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD