Have painful cervical disc degeneration, prescribed neurotin and has increased dose with baclofen. Have more pain and light headed

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I have cervical disc degeneration which is very painful. I was prescribed about a month ago to take 100mg neurotin 3x daily. Two days ago, my PCP increased the dose to 300mg 3x daily. I also take 10mg Baclofen 3. daily. Since the increase in dose, I am experiencing more pain than before and am also experiencing some light-headedness. Will these symptoms go away?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You would slowly get better.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Symptoms such as giddiness, dizziness, drowsiness, etc are common after increasing the dose of neurontin (gabapentin). However, these tend to go away after a few days.

If pain does not get better with neurontin, you may wish to switch over to lyrica (pregabalin) or duloxetine.

In addition, physiotherapy including neck extension exercises, IFT, ultrasound, etc would also help in reducing pain.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Have painful cervical disc degeneration, prescribed neurotin and has increased dose with baclofen. Have more pain and light headed 48 minutes later
I also have been diagnosed with bipolar, anxiety, PTSD would taking lyrica or the other interfere with that? My previous endo took me off the psych drugs to better be able to monitor my symptoms for the tumor and any effects it is having on my system.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
They would benefit in psychiatric problems too

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

These medications that I suggested- pregabalin (lyrica), and duloxetine have favorable effects on psychiatric problems too, including anxiety and bipolar disorder. So, they can safely be taken in your case.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Have painful cervical disc degeneration, prescribed neurotin and has increased dose with baclofen. Have more pain and light headed 8 hours later
Thank you. I will talk to my PCP.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Thank you and best wishes,
Dr Sudhir XXXXXXX MD DM (Neurology)