Have painful bump behind scrotum. What could be causing this?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
i have a bump or cyst behind my scrotum (in between my legs) that is painful. what could be causing this and should i be really worried about it?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 4 hours later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The commonest cause of a painful lump in that region is folliculitis (infection of hair follicles). This condition is sometimes associated with pus formation and requires a course of antibiotics.
Another cause of a swelling there is a sebaceous cyst (which can become painful if it gets infected). This condition also requires a course of antibiotics and subsequently needs to be excised.

It is best that you get your problem evaluated by a surgeon and take the appropriate treatment.

Hoping for the best.

Follow-up: Have painful bump behind scrotum. What could be causing this? 29 minutes later
Thanks for your answer. I'll make an appointment with my doctor. How long shoud it take to heal?

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 46 minutes later
Dear Sir,

With a course of antibiotics, the lump should subside within 3-4 days but it might require a minor surgery at a later date.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Have painful bump behind scrotum. What could be causing this? 19 hours later
Thanks for your help. I did see a doctor today, not mine, but I did get in to see one. He didn't seem overly concerned about it. The lump did drain on its own today, a thick yellowish greyish whitish fluid (ironically JUST before I left the house to see the doctor) and he did not prescribe any antibiotics. It is still tender and a bit painful, though not nearly as bad as yesterday and earlier today. It still feels a bit "squishy". How many days can I suspect it to be tender and sore for? Anything I can do to alleviate discomfort? Given this info, is there any other cause for this to have happened? Just want to see if the doctor I saw today was right to not be too concerned. Again, thank you for your assistance.

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 49 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for asking your query. The kind of discharge you are describing is suggestive of a sebaceous cyst only and if it has drained, then no need for antibiotics The soreness will remain for a couple of days and you can take a tylenol/ advil for that. After the drainage, the area would become soft and squishy but there is no reason to be worried.
The problem with these lumps are that they tend to recur. Just maintain a good local hygiene and hopefully it should not recur.