Have painful bug bite on arm. Prescribed hydroxyzine. Will this medicine reduce swelling? Wait to see doctor?

My 9 year old has a painful bug bite on her arm and she was prescribed hydroxyzine last year for gnat bites, this bite looks almost like a spider bite, anyway will hydroxyzine help with pain swelling etc. Also, when do you take someone in for bug bite- wait for fever chills or sooner??
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 54 minutes later

These bug bites are labelled when patient do give history of bug bite or the place where he used to live have these bugs.

If the patient do not noticed the bug bite than , fever , chills and rash will help a bit to reach the diagnosis.

Yes, hydroxyzine will definitely help out in decreasing the allergic reaction, reducing itching and redness at the site of bite.

I recommend you to Use mosquito nets and repellents.

Hope I have answered your query , If you have any other query, I will be happy to answer.

Follow-up: Have painful bug bite on arm. Prescribed hydroxyzine. Will this medicine reduce swelling? Wait to see doctor? 44 minutes later
Thank-you very much. I appreciate the good advise. Poor little kiddo- she's feeling better now and swelling appears to have gone down.
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later
Thanks for your appreciation,

Hope the little kiddo will have a speedy recovery and be free from bug bites , be in touch.

If you do not have any other query you can close this discussion and can give your valuable comments for and rate my query.