Have painful back, soreness and swelling in throat, white tongue and bad breath. How to get rid of it?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
I have a painful left side of next front & back, sore XXXXXXX in the throat on that side - maybe swollen - white tongue & bad breath. A mild fever that comes & goes & hardly any sniffles? But I feel low & sick - groggy. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Your symtoms are suggestive of a upper respiratory infection probably pharyngitis ( swollen , sore throat) associated with myalgia ( muscular aches).
The most probable cause in your case seems to be a viral infection which usually causes dispropotionately more weakness , malaise than severe symptoms & high fever. Other causes could be an underlying abscess or lymph adenopathy usually associated with bacterial infections .The treatment includes antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen , steam inhalations and warm saline gargles thrice daily .
With plenty of water, nutritious food , adequate rest and sleep along with symptomatic treatment as per doctors prescription such an illness should resolve completely in 1-2 weeks . If your symptoms persist beyond a week or worsen then please consult your physician for appropriate antibiotic therapy.
You make take a multivitamin especially vit C supplement ( not necessary if taking a balanced diet . ) to increase your capacity to deal with the illness .
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Have painful back, soreness and swelling in throat, white tongue and bad breath. How to get rid of it? 4 hours later
Hey there,

Thank you for your reply.

I recently noticed a had a Bartholin Cyst and it ruptured tonight with clear liquid. Could this be a reason for me feeling run down and my throat also?

Should I get antibiotics?

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes , bartholins cyst if gets burst or infected can give rise to fever and weakness but unlikely to cause sore throat .
Yet it would be advisable that you consult a doctor for a course of antibiotics to prevent any further complications like abscess formation .If neglected it can increase in size , and if an abscess is formed it might require surgical drainage .
With appropriate treatment you should be feeling fine soon.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.