Have pain where leg meets body. Hurts to take step and radiates to knees. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a pain where my leg meets my body. Left side only. Comes and goes. Aggravated today by raking leaves. But just walking sometimes triggers the pain. Happens once every 2 or so months and lasts for 3 days or so. Hurts to take a step. I feel if I take too big of a step, my leg will pop out of socket. Does that make sense? I feel like it's the small bone or muscle on inside of leg joining my lady parts. Please help. Thanks
Ps pain today feels like it radiates to my knee and that part is new for me.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The pain that you have described is likely to be related to a ligament injury or a labral tear of the hip joint.A muscle sprain can also cause such a pain.
This can be related to a past injury or infection in the joint.
The best to diagnose the same is to get an MRI scan done of the area. I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for a direct examination and necessary investigations.
Meanwhile you can avoid weight bearing on the joint, take a mild pain killer and do a hot fomentation for symptomatic relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.