Ask a Dentist   »  

Have pain underneath tongue while eating. Have bad tooth in that area. Related??

Hi, I have a pain underneath my tongue when I eat. I have a bad tooth in that area. could this be causing the pain?
The pain is only underneath my tongue when I swallow. At rest there is no pain.
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No,Bad tooth is not the reason of this pain.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in.

In my opinion, bad tooth is not the reason of this pain. Since you are having myasthenia gravis, difficulty in swallowing, chewing, speaking is common feature of this disease. Myasthenics typically do well at the beginning of a meal but tire at the end, making swallowing too difficult.

Consult your dentist for further examination of that teeth.

Take Care
Dr. Neha Sumra
Follow-up: Have pain underneath tongue while eating. Have bad tooth in that area. Related?? 2 hours later
The problem is I am having a little difficulty talking. Not a lot but my tongue feels thicker which it is not. Is there any medication that i can take?
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,can take anticholinesterase 1hr before meal

Detailed Answer:

I would like to know if you developed this difficulty instantly or was it something that happened gradually.

Lack of strength of muscles of mastication can inhibit proper chewing of food. Eating can be further inhibited by dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), when the tongue and other muscles used for swallowing are involved, and by aberrant passage of food or liquids from the nasopharynx into the nasal cavity.

Similar weakness of tongue and pharyngeal wall may cause speaking difficulty.

If the difficulty you are experiencing are gradual in onset, I would consider this to be the effects of myaesthenia gravis. To prevent this complication, I would start you on anticholinesterase medication 1hr before meal. Allow a half-hour rest period before meals and
frequent rests while eating. Eat the main meal of the day in the morning when muscles are stronger.
You can ask your doctor about this medication.

Dr.Neha Sumra