Have pain under center rib cage, feel tight and full. Had borderline cholesterol. Suggest?

I am a 40 year old mail with pain under my center rib cage feels very tight and a sence of fullness. I have not been to dr in over 2 Years had borderline high cholesterol at the time other than that have not ha any health issues. Thank you
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs proper examination to find out the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
For the pain under the rib cage and fullness, three possibilities are coming to my mind, these include:
1)The first possibility is of pleuritis - You may have VIRAL BRONCHITIS. Your pain may be caused by PLEURISY, an irritation of the lining of the lung that is usually caused by a viral infection. Hard coughing may also cause pain in the muscles and chest wall. Drink plenty of fluids, and try cold medicines and/or anti-inflammatory medicines to relieve your symptoms. See your doctor if the pain continues for more than a few days or if you develop a fever.
2) The second possibility can be of myositis or muscle pull due to overuse of muscles. Mild antiinflammatory drugs and hot fomentation will help you.
3)The third possibility is of GERD, Peptic ulcer disease or Hiatal hernia . Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.

The symptoms of heart related pain include squeezing type of chest pain with sweating and nausea/vomiting. The predisposing factors include smoking, stress, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc.
I suggest you to consult a physician and get these causes ruled out.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.