Have pain, redness and swelling in wrist. Suspected for psoriatic arthritis. Taking humira. Prognosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a sore wrist. It's red, warm and tender around the wrist bone, but I don't remember injuring it. I do have psoriatic arthritis, but I'm on humira and I've never experienced this before. My wrist is warm and tender and a little swollen around the wrist bone. It hurts to move it and the pain came on pretty quickly and severely.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
The pain in your wrist with redness and swelling without any history of injury is likely to be inflammatory in nature. It is likely to be related to psoriatic arthritis that you are having. In addition to Humira that you are already taking sometimes mild pain killers are needed to control such intermittent flare ups.
The following measures will help you in symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your wrist. You can use an elastic brace for comfort.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your wrist will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Wrist and forearm stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain, swelling and redness subsides.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have pain, redness and swelling in wrist. Suspected for psoriatic arthritis. Taking humira. Prognosis? 13 minutes later
It's possible it is my arthritis, although my skin feels different. It feels slightly itchy and irritated over the area. I was traveling yesterday and noticed it began to hurt while I was in the airplane. Could a spider bite cause joint pain? I'm not positive, but it sort of looks like I might have a bite.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The itchy skin over the area can be due to a spider bite. In spider bite also, local joint pain is possible but the joint pain in such cases is not severe and usually subsides in 5-7 days. You can also take an anti allergic to help with the irritated and itchy feeling.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.