Have pain on hip area. It feels to be bruised when pressed. Underlying cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pain on my hip area on the left side on the back, right about my butt (the area right above where the top of my panties hit). It feels as though it is bruised when i apply gentle pressure. I have not fallen or hit it on anything. Sort of a burning pain when not touching it.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 58 minutes later
The symptoms you have are suggestive of an inflammation of the pubic symphysis. It can be due to a chronic friction or a sudden jerk in the recent past. A decrease in vitamin D 3 levels can also cause such a pain.
The pain is likely to subside on taking mild pain killers and doing a hot fomentation in the area. You can also apply a local analgesic gel to0 help with the symptoms. In case the pain is sharp and persistent then do consult an orthopedician for a physical examination and oral muscle relaxants.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.