Ask a Dentist   »  

Have pain in upper molars and pain radiating to forehead and ears. CT scan clear. What is the problem?

I have had constant pressure sensitive teeth feeling in my upper molars, temple pain that radiates to ears at times for 3 months. Sometimes they feel full or achy. I have also had feelings of pressure in head (back, forehead). Some days are better than others but teeth pressure is always there. Sinus CT came back clear, oral surgeon says I have some TMJD but muscle relaxers and splint have not taken away any symptoms. More intense on left side but present on both.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 56 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like to inform you that continuous pain in upper molars , pain radiating to forehead and ears is a clear sign of TMJ problem.

Some people have a habit of clenching or grinding their teeth at night, this is when the muscles of jaw become tight and pressure radiates causing pain .

I appreciate that you are following your oral surgeon's advise. I will recommend you to continue following the instructions given to you.

Kindly apply alternate hot and cold compresses over the Jaw joint atleast 3-4 times/day.

Avoid chewing on hard food.
Avoid chewing gums.

Do not worry, it will take time to resolve this condition completely.

If you do not experience any change in your current condition then i will advise you to see your dentist for further jaw exercises.

If you have further queries feel free to write back.

I wish you good health