Have pain in upper abdomen under rib cage. Ultrasound, X-ray, ct scan, HIDA scan and blood work normal. Suffer pain after eating. Remedy?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I have all the symptoms of a gallbladder problem, pain in upper right quadrant of abdomen under ribcage. Had ultrasound, X-ray, ct scan, HIDA scan and blood work but all came back normal. Last night within 30 of eating the pain was intense. 8 hours later still there but not as bad. I am still convinced there is something not quite right but am at a loss since all the tests came back normal.
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 24 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

What you feel are the symptoms of Gall bladder disease could be due to some sort of muscular pain if all your reports are normal

Do you have any other symptoms apart from the pain in right quadrant ?
Any bowel symptoms ?
Fever ?

Pain in other parts of abdomen ?

If you do not have any associated symptoms a muscle relaxant can do the trick

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Follow-up: Have pain in upper abdomen under rib cage. Ultrasound, X-ray, ct scan, HIDA scan and blood work normal. Suffer pain after eating. Remedy? 11 hours later
Last night was the first time I had pizza in quite some time and within 30 minutes of eating it, I was doubled over in pain. But if it is muscular pain, what would cause it? I wasn't in an accident, I did not have a fall or bump into anything. I was driving home and it hit me on the way home. I do not have a fever but I will break out in a sweat out of the blue (and no it is not hot flashes as I have not had them in years and when I did, they were mild and few and far between) I alternative between constipation and diarrea but mainly constipation. If it is a muscular problem, what could have caused it? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 15 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the followup

The fact that there is no history of injury muscular pain could be due to a simple pull of the muscle in a day to day activity, but the fact that pain increased after a Pizza would point to some form of gastritis, muscular pain will not increase with Pizza

So I would suggest you go for a second opinion ultrasound and blood reports

In the mean time take a good PPI and a probiotic

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern