Have pain in ribs, sore and achy breast. What is causing this?

Critical Care Specialist
My left breast is sore and achy and the pain is also in my ribs just below my breasted. There does not appear to be any knots. I am approximately nine days from my next period. This breasted is also more prone to premenstrual soreness
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later

Thanks for your question.

Breast soreness associated with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) usually occur 3-4 days before menstruation. In your case, since you are 9 days away from period, it is unlikely that the pain may be related to PMS.

I am glad to know that there are no lumps felt. Therefore isolated inflammation of breast is one of the possibilities. I would suggest you to wait and observe for a day or two. If symptoms persist, I urge you to visit your surgeon for careful physical examination. Inflammation leading to abscess needs to be ruled out.

Hope I answered your question. For any more queries, do post your follow up; I will be readily available to answer.

Get well soon...