Have pain in neck and shoulder. Taking medication for thyroid and high blood pressure. Suggest

Have pain in neck and shoulder with pain in upper back and some times in lower back. Neck when I move it crunches alot .this has been a ongoing problem for years.
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 24 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for the query, the most common cause of these symptoms, particularly worsening after the age of 65, is degenerative joint disease, also called popularly arthritis (not to be confused with rheumathoid arthritis) or osteoarthrits, which is caused by wear and tear of the cartilae between the joints; I would encourage you to visit a doctor, could be a doctor in osteopathics, a family physician or even an orthopedics specialist, who will conduct a joint examination and order x-rays if needed to clarify if there is degenerative joint disease.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN