Have pain in lower back, difficulty walking and sitting. Advise?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Doctors,
I have a pain in my lower back since long time ago, but since 3 days ago the pain is now unbearable, I am walking tilting my body to one side. The pain is going as well to the hips and when I am sitting down is worse. What do you think. Please advise.

Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be acute mechanical back pain.

Detailed Answer:

You might be suffering from Acute mechanical back pain. I suggest you-
1. Hard bed rest for 2-3 days
2. Take anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food to relieve the pain. Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area.
3. Hot water fomentation to back 2-3 times a day
4. Physiotherapy - Interferential therapy (IFT) to your back will help you relieve the pain
5. Avoid driving, leaning forward, sitting for prolonged time or lifting heavy weights. These activities can increase your back pain.

Even after a week if your pain doesn't gets relieved, better to get yourself examined by an orthopaedician. He might ask you to take an Xray of your back.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.