Have pain in left abdomen after eating. Should I be worried?

General Surgeon
Question
I have this pain in the left upper abdomen on the side of the body. I had it in August and September and it went away, but yesterday I went out for my daughter's birthday and had a slice of pizza and a salad and two hours after I ate, the pain came back. What could this be related to? Should I be concerned about it?
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Peptic ulcer. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such pain, associated with foods intake is most likely caused by peptic ulcer or pancreas irritation. Other possible symptoms are nausea, vomiting, chest burning. It is very important to do not ignore such symptoms as stomach cancer can also appear in the same way. That is why, I suggest you to visit your doctor, have abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests and amylase done. If its peptic ulcer, all this tests will be negative and gastroscopy needs to be done. In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol and coffee. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.

Follow-up: Have pain in left abdomen after eating. Should I be worried? 5 hours later
I do not understand what made the pain go away. I did not have it for over a months and a half. What made it come back? The nausea disappeared and over a week ago I was hit with a bad cold and the nausea came back. I do not have any weight loss. I do not have health insurance but I will go to a free walk-in clinic and have this checked out.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: It is quite common that peptic ulcer pain can come and go. Its because the ulcer is a kind of wound. Human body tries to heal this wound. And partially healed wound can not give any symptoms at all. But when the wound is irritated by some factor (like coffee or foods) its gives pain again. Regards.

Follow-up: Have pain in left abdomen after eating. Should I be worried? 1 hour later
I was just tested a few weeks ago for Helicobacter Pylori and the test was negative (I had a stool test done). Could I still have peptic ulcer if no H. Pylori was detected in my stool? Thanks again!

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, its still possible. Detailed Answer: Yes, peptic ulcer is still possible. Stool test for H.Pylori can be negative even if the bacteria is present in the stomach. So it does not rule anything out. Gastroscopy and H.Pylori test (samples from stomach are taken and checked for H.Pylori) is the best way to rule it out. Hope this will help. Regards.