Have pain in knees

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My Mom is suffering from the pain in knees.
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

The information you have given is fairly incomplete. I would require more details about the problem. I request you to kindly answer the following-

1. How long has she been suffering with pain?

2. Was there a trauma/fall/fever that incited this condition.

3. Does she have instability or fear of falling down while walking?

4. Are there any other joints that have similar pain?

5. Has she developed any swelling or deformity at present?

6. Is she able to completely straighten and fold her knees? Also does it lock sometime or give out (grinding) sounds?

Kindly reply to these with corresponding numbers. I shall await your response.
Follow-up: Have pain in knees 4 hours later
1. since last one year
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. Yes, No
I consulted Dr. Dhadiwal in Sancheti Hospital Pune, He found that Calcium suppliment should be given. We had undergone the treatment for one week or 10 days, but the medicine caused heat in the body. symptoms of piles were getting developed because of the heat so we stopped the treatment however for calcium she still take Mashyne XXXXXXX weekly.
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later
Thanks for replying back.

The initial suspicion goes towards the age related wear and tear of your mothers knee, namely loss of cartilage and subsequently loss of synovial fluid. This we know as primary Osteoarthritis.

The loss of calcium is indeed a simultaneous phenomenon and well concieved by my good friend Dr Dhadiwal, and that should be supplemented along with Vitamin D if she is not compensated for in her diet. But I beg to differ that it alone will show any short term favourable results. It will take time and the results will be shown in a few months.

Besides that, the wear and tear has to be investigated and proved before initiating any treatment. An MRI should satisfactorily prove the pathology. Further line of management like medications (sustainable by her stomach), physiotherapy, lifestyle changes ( weight loss, proper footwear, appropriate walking, eating habits) and as a last resort surgery (arthroscopy, total knee replacement) shall be decided accordingly.

In the initial phase of knee arthritis, we have a choice of reversing certain derangements and arrest further progress of the degeneration. This can be achieved by anti inflammatory drugs, chondroitin/hyluronic acid supplements, posture restrictions and most importantly- muscle strengthening exercises. In advanced cases knee replacement remains the only option. To know in which category your mother fits, kindly search the web for 'Oxford knee score'.

Hope this answers your query. For any further questions I'm available for follow up