Have pain in knee when ascending and descending stairs. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pain in my right knee when ascending and/or descending stairs ut not when walking on flat surface. What should I do to stop the pain?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to osteoarthritis of knee.

Detailed Answer:
From your symptoms it seems that your right knee joint has undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness specially while climbing stairs. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have pain in knee when ascending and descending stairs. Suggest? 22 hours later
Thank you. I am 71, going to 72. But why only right knee? Will follow up treatment when I return from St XXXXXXX to Lusaka, Zambia. I am allegic to sulfa-based medications==are sulfate supplements safe for me?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Two knees can be affected to different extent.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Right knee would have more degenerative changes compared to left knee may be due to your position or posture. The sulfate supplements can cause an allergy. Do consult your orthopedician before starting any such supplements.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.