Have pain in knee and finding difficulty in climbing stairs. How serious is it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pain in my knee and am not able to straighten it completely. Hurts to most when I try to stand from a sitting position or walk up or down stairs. What do you think is going on and how serious is it ?
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is osteoarthritis knee

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

According to your symptoms and findings there is osteoarthritis of your knee.
You can start cartilage protecting medication like chondritin sulphate, that you need to take for couple of months.

I will advise to do X ray knee and if required MRI knee can be done and if there is severe destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises
Life style changes will help in reducing pain which include,
LOAD REDUCTION : Protecting the joint from excessive load may slow down the rate of cartilage loss. It is also effective in relieving pain. The heavier you are, the more stress you put on your joints. Weight reduction for obese patients, wearing shock-absorbing shoes, avoiding activities like climbing stairs and using a walking stick are worthwhile.

ACTIVITY MODIFICATION -It is important to maintain as much activity and joint motion as possible, but impact activities will aggravate arthritis. Running and jumping will often accelerate cartilage loss from the joint. The key is to focus on low impact activities, such as swimming or cycling.

USING CANES: Assistive devices can make it easier to go about your day without stressing your painful joint. A cane may take weight off your knee or hip as you walk. Carry the cane in the hand opposite the leg that hurts.

ANALGESIC MEDICATION : Simple over the counter medications like acetaminophen is sufficient in most cases. If this fails to control pain, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug may be better.

VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION: Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer.