Have pain in inner thigh. Noticed redness and warmth in the area. Could it be cellulitis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pain in my inner thigh. Yesterday i scratched an area on my tibia and it radiated to my inner thigh. Today I see redness and warmth in the area. I suspect many reasons but am afraid if I say I will be misdiagnosed. Either way as a nurse I fear cellulitis because I have a few open mosquito bites on the same leg and I was gardening in areas where there is mud. I also know that I have been sitting in awkward positions with the heel of my right leg over the nerve on the inner thigh of the left leg. I returned to work yesterday, I don't have insurance yet and I am too private to ask a physician on call. Don't know if it's muscular, circulatory, neurological or infection related...
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 58 minutes later
Since there is redness and warmth in the area, an infection is most likely. A circulatory problem is usually associated with a visible swelling. Neurological problems are usually associated with a shooting pain originating from the thigh.
The muscular pains are not likely to be associated with redness.
However, the assessment here is severely limited as i cannot examine you like my OPD patients.
You can self monitor the area for any increase in tenderness, induration and fever. In case these symptoms appear then systemic antibiotics are needed after consulting a physician.
You can meanwhile do a hot fomentation in the area for symptomatic relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.