Have pain in groin, knee, back of thigh, ankle. Feeling of object crawling down leg. Cause and treatment?

Dear Dr,

I have a friend who is experiencing pain in the groin, hollow of the knee, back of the thigh and on the inside of the thigh on her left leg. Sometimes also the ancle. Besides the pain, there is the feeling of something flickering/crawling down the whole leg. Feels like it could be the nerves. You can’t visually see the nerves jumping or anything. The flickering/crawling is sometimes better but the pain is always there. Pain is there no matter if sitting, laying down or walking. Pain can sometimes feel better when laying down keeping leg up in 90 degrees. Patient previously had these problems perhaps once a month during night but has now had it day and night for a week. Very often patient experiences a striking pain in the thigh which is very painful. Like the feeling of a vein that is about to explode.

What could be the cause of this and how could it be treated?
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later
Thanks for the query
Let me tell you that there are many causes of pain which can present in this way. The possible causes could be related to pinched nerves. Rarely it could be related to vascular problem. The patient needs a detailed clinical evaluation which will clarify the cause of the pain. This in turn will guide us regarding the nature of investigation regarding MRI and nerve test. All these will clarify the diagnosis so that treatment becomes easy.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Have pain in groin, knee, back of thigh, ankle. Feeling of object crawling down leg. Cause and treatment? 44 hours later

Thank you for the reply.

Could you please name a few possible causes for this kind of pain?
What could we look for ourselves without seeing a doctor to be able to figure out what the root cause is?

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 days later

Apologies for the late response.

However as I said in my previous reply this pain can be related to nerves (pinched nerve). It could also be an indication of a problem with the blood circulation.

It would be extremely difficult to exclude both these condition without a clinical examination as the clinical signs might be very subtle and missed easily if you plan to explore yourself. Nevertheless you can try palpating his peripheral pulse in the lower limb; if they are normal, vascular problems are unlikely.

In addition to the clinical examination, one will need the help of X-ray, CT/MRI scans and doppler study to confirm the condition.

Therefore it would be worthwhile to consult a doctor.

Let me know if you need clarifications.