Have pain in eye and nose. Noticed blood stained foul smelling one sided nasal discharge. Normal?

ENT Specialist
Hi good morning, I have pain in my left nasal and my left eye only and when i blow my nose there is some blood n it seems the discharge is having it normal as i have taken medication for my flu so far
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. A blood stained foul smelling one sided nasal discharge is not considered normal.

2. There are many causes for this kind of nasal discharge however since yu have pain in the left side of the nose and left eye, the most common causes are:
a. Infection: Cold, sinusitis.
b. Dryness in the nose: Due to the cold or as a result of side effects of medication.
c. A Deviated Nasal Septum (DNS), a sharp septal spur, furuncles, ulcers, polyps are some other causes.
d. A foreign body or bleeding clotting disorders. An X-ray and routine blood tests may be required to rule out these.
e. A growth is unlikely as they are painless unless secondary infection intervenes.

3. You may wait for a few days till your medication is complete. If this persists despite treatment, it is best to get a nasal examination and endoscopy done.

4. You may follow up with the reports here for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.