Have pain in ear canal, swollen, no discharge, no fever. Use otomize. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
Question
I hAve pain in my ear.canal swollen.no discharge.no fever.i use otomize drops but it does not help.im 45
I was told my ears are too clean And theres no wax left. Only paracetamol helps with pain.the spray has not helped.the swelling is worse as my hearing has dropped now.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eardrum images, PTA, I/A

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have been cleaning your ears yourself, you maybe injuring the delicate lining of the ear canal and allowing infection to reach the cartilage.

2. Do you clean your ears often? That would make the ear canals look squeaky clean on examination.

3. Acid reflux or gastritis (acidity) may lead to itching in the ears, repeated cleaning, scratches, itching and finally habit forming.

4. Eustachian tube dysfunction may also cause a decrease in hearing. Have you had a recent cold?

5. Get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (I/A) done.

6. If you can obtain and upload endoscopic ear drum and canal images, I will be able to give you an accurate diagnosis.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have pain in ear canal, swollen, no discharge, no fever. Use otomize. Suggest? 2 hours later
Hello

I have been suffering for itchy ears for years, sometimes I wake up at night because it is so itchy so yes I am always cleaning them , with anything, paper clip , pen , anything really which will relieve the itch.
How long will it take for the drops to take effects? it's been 24 hours now and no improvement.
Also

I have sinus problems I think.
when I bend down I feel a lot of pressure in my head, my ears are blocked often and I had an hearing test and was told it was a bit down but nothing to worry about. Even I cannot open my mouth wide as it hurts.
I have bottom impacted wisdom teeth and something they hurt and it can affect my hearing,

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The ear canal is so delicate an tortuous that it tends to get scratched. Any wound tends to itch while healing. These scratches heal quickly, leading to a vicious cycle resulting in a habit (of regularly cleaning the ears) which must be now broken.

2. Use a soothing ear drops such as Mullein ear oil (Homeopathic).

3. Get examined again to rule out Temporo-Mandibular Joint Disorders, Referred dental pain (impacted wisdom tooth) and Sinusitis.

4. Along with the ear drops, medication for acid reflux and a short course of anti-histamine medication will help control the itching.

Regards.