Have pain in clavical bone. Had broken shoulder and have sponlitis. Related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have pain in my clavical bone i think thats what its called it is very painful i did break my shoulder 12 year s ago would this be the problem and i do have spondlitis
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us,

I am Dr Vaibbhav Gandhi , I am Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Shoulder fracture 12years ago will be least likely cause of present clavicle bone pain.

Spondylitis of cervical spine will lead to diffuse pain in spine and in severe cases tingling numbness in arm. This kind of pain is due to compression of nerve because of spinal disc bulge. Nerve compression lead to radiating pain, which aggravated on long time sitting in same particular position.

If you were to be my patient, I would advise you to get X-rays of shoulder to look for status of clavicle ,any bony contusion ,hairline fracture , acromioclavicular joint arthritis or displacement. If required MRI can be done. In addition also check your vitamin B12 level and vitamin D3 level through blood test.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon nearby and get her evaluated. The aforementioned investigation can help us identify the real cause of pain and accordingly advise her medicines such as anti inflammatory drugs, physiotherapy (short wave diathermy, ultrasound) . If the above modalities do not help her, then intra-articular injection would be tried for acromioclavicular joint arthritis.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.