Have pain at the top of arm, feels like vice grips. What could it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
pain at the top of my left arm ,,feels like vice grips ,can travel down arm but mostly at the top
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 14 minutes later
Welcome at XXXXXXX

I have read details of your question.Will you please answer some questions so that i can help you-

-Since when this problem is there?

-Do you have high blood pressure or diabetes?

-Do you have neck pain?

-Did you had any injury to your arm?

-Is this aggravates with movement of arm?

Please reply.
Follow-up: Have pain at the top of arm, feels like vice grips. What could it be? 16 minutes later
no neck pain ,on selectol for blood pressure ,,,no arm injury ,,,dosent affect arm movement ,,but can make me nearly drop things ,,
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 9 minutes later
Thanks for information.

If you are not having any neck pain, there is no pain on movement of arm then the most probable reason for your present pain looks to be alternation of your blood pressure or associated heart condition. The other reason can be presence of stress. I shall advice you to consult to your physician & get a complete check up.

If this pain too much severe & crushing or piercing in nature then i shall suggest you to go to ER.

I used to prescribe combination of tramadol with paracetamol in such pain where pain is of moderate degree.

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.