Have pain at lower back of ribs, comes along side of spine. Tried tens machine and heat massager

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have an ache which doesn't go away at the lower back of my ribs and is very painful, i have tried a tens machine and a heat massager. it comes along side my spine to my right side.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can get muscle relaxants prescribed.

Detailed Answer:
It seems that you have a myofascial pain syndrome due to excessive stress and exertion. There may be some spinal disc related problem involved which is causing you a persistent pain.
You need to consult an orthopedician who after an examination will order tests like MRI of spine to find the extent of damage you have suffered.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.