Have pain at and rib cage while lying. Had relief from chiropractor and hot shower. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
For past 2 months pain on left side of back and rib cage while lying in bed. Have seen Chiropractor and have some relief. Wake up with the pain @ night and sleep on right side, hot morning shower helps. Have had no injuries or trauma to the area.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be POSTURAL back ache

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on the description of symptoms, I think it is Postural backpain owing to the odd position adopted while sleeping.

Any muscle in the body will tend to go into spasm (tightness) if it is held in one particular position for a given period of time.

So, I suggest you to avoid sleeping positions which produces pain. As you rightly said, hot shower always helps as the heat produces relaxation in the muscles.

If your pain is intolerable, use oral muscle relaxants and massage painkiller creams over the affected regions.

An MRI scan may be needed to rule out any underlying pathology that is producing pain.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Have pain at and rib cage while lying. Had relief from chiropractor and hot shower. Suggest? 17 minutes later
Thank you.
I have used your med recomendations and the pain does subside.Any possible idea what underlying pathology could show with an MRI?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be an underlying Disc protrusion.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to see you back.

Though there are numerous possibilities that may produce a similar picture, the commonest and most frequent problem will be a protruding intervertebral disc causing pressure on the spinal cord leading to spinal stenosis which causes back pain or by way of exerting compression over the nerve roots causing pain in the areas of supplied muscles.

As your pain is unrelenting and recurring despite treatment, MRI scan is definitely indicated.

Hope I have justified your query. Good day