Have pain and swelling on temple area. Root canal to be done. Related to teeth?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Hi. Since yesterday, when I open my mouth wide I feel pain in an area above my left temple, where there is also some swelling which is sensitive to the touch. I have had no injury to the head. My dentist did tell me in the fall that I will sometime soon need to replace a large filling or havew a root canal but Imight wait til I feel discomfort. Is this swelling tooth related or is it something else? And what? I am a healthy woman age 65. LT
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 31 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that there might be a possibility of some pus collection in the superficial temporal space. This can be due to spread of infection from a tooth to the temporal space.

I would suggest that you should get following investigations done:-
1. Complete Blood Count.
2. Ortho Pento Gram (OPG).
3. Ultrasound of the area.

You can take pain killers like Ibuprofen one tablet twice a day after meals along with an antacid like Omeprazole 20 mg.

Antibiotic like Amoxycillin and Clavulanate along with a probiotic preparation may be needed to treat the infection.

Medical management can be planned according to the reports of the above investigations.

Hot compress may be helpful in reducing pain and swelling.
Also get yourself examined by a dental surgeon.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Have pain and swelling on temple area. Root canal to be done. Related to teeth? 2 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX I thank you for your advice. I will proceed with your suggestions. Luckily I have a scheduled check up with my PCP next week and will request the blood count and the OPG and the utrasound. I will also get the name of the dental surgeon from my dentist and make an appointment. I will inquire about anti-biotic and will start probiotics. Thank you again. Very helpful. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 8 hours later

You are welcome.
The investigations will help in planning proper management.
If you have any doubts, please mention.

I wish you good health.