Have pain and swelling on ankle. Facing walking and sleeping difficulty. Any cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been suffering from pain on my left ankle and it has also got swelling around it. By which i am unable to walk and stand even at nights i am not able to sleep. It has been almost 10 days now.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

Details regarding your complaint is incomplete.
1. How did the pain start? Was it after any injury or slip/fall or after any sports activities?
2. Any similar episodes before?
3. Whether the pain has decreased or increased from day one?
4. Are you totally unable to walk? or do you find difficulty in walking?
5. Any other joint involvement?
6. Do you consume high protein diets (dal, pulses) / non-veg / alcohol more frequently? if yes then how frequently do you consume them?

It will be useful, if you can attach the Xray of your left ankle (both AP and Lateral views).

To decrease the swelling apply elastic crepe bandage and elevate your limb over 1-2 pillows. Pain killers (NSAID's) and Ice pack application at the site will help you reduce your pain. Avoid walking on rough surface, climbing stairs etc.,

Waiting for your response
Follow-up: Have pain and swelling on ankle. Facing walking and sleeping difficulty. Any cure? 1 hour later
The pain started after the morning walk no injury or slipfall occured.
No similar pisodes before.
pain has increased from day 1
difficulty in walking however standing and sleeping aggravates more pain.
area around ankle is only affected
I am a pure veg with occasional alcohol consumption and dal and pulses on daily basis.
I have been using the crape bandage, whenever i apply it makes me fell little comfort but the memoment it is removed pain gets aggravated again.

I had consulted a doctor here with blood test and x XXXXXXX reports he has adviced me that it could be a case of REACTIVE ARTHRITIS.

The following are the medicines adviced:

Etoshine 60
DMRD 200
Omnacortil 5
Would request you to provide your views on the same.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 58 minutes later
Thanks for your valuable information.

Since there is no history of injury and Xray seems to be normal, i too think that it can be Reactive Arthritis. You should be responding to those medications. Continue the medications as advised by your doctor.

A course of antibiotics Azithromycin +/- Doxycycline will also help in controlling any infection (one of the cause for Reactive Arthritis) anywhere in your body. Additionally you can use Ankle splint to give rest to the inflammed ankle for 2-3 weeks.

Avoid taking high protein diets and alcohol for 3 weeks. Avoid climbing stairs, running, jogging or any other activities which aggravates your pain or swelling.

Hope i have answered your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery,
Follow-up: Have pain and swelling on ankle. Facing walking and sleeping difficulty. Any cure? 11 minutes later
Can u please advice the diet if anything specific i need to follow and also on the ankle splint what kind of that needs to be used any specifc company or brand or model if any please specifc

Thank you.

Your advice has been really helpful for me.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 32 minutes later
Since you are vegetarian:
1. Take complex carbohydrates - whole grains, fruits, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables,
2. Avoid - soya beans, dry fruits
3. Have lot of pineapple, oranges, potatoes
4. Restrict - dal and pulses
5. Take low-fat diary products.

You can use any brand. Ankle splints are of two types - One which is like a socks and other with side support & straps. The second one with side supports and straps will be more helpful. It shouldn't be too tight nor too loose. Wear ankle splint only while walking or moving around.

Your symptoms should improve with the above mentioned treatment modalities.

Wish you a good health.