Have pain and itching in fingers and thumb. Hurt to bend and has fever. Advise?

I have pain and itching in one of my fingers and my thumb. Both hurt to bend, and the pain has increased over the past few hours. There does not appear to be any swelling, redness, or rash. I am also running a low grade fever. Any ideas? Cause for concern?
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 44 minutes later
Pain and redness in finger with fever can be associated with cellulitis.
however usually there is no itch and there should be redness in the lesion.

Another possibility is collagen vascular disorders like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.

As for now take an analgesic anti inflammatory combination like combiflam.
Apply a mild steroid like hydrocortisone.

If you dont get relief with this or if there is recurrent episodes, you must get yourself tested for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you